Saturday 1 November 2008

Darned hunger!

There's one big problem with the staff meal stuff... They serve it at set times... Which means that quite often I've felt hungry when it's not another few hours until next meal... Last night I was hungry at about 10pm... When nowhere served food anymore... And this morning, I missed breakfast!! It closes at 9am and by the time I'd got out of bed and got dressed, it was well past 9am... POO! So I'm rather hungry... When I go shopping tomorrow, I might buy myself some teabags, sugar and milk so I can keep myself going on tea... I may also look for some sort of snack type thing to sustain me when I miss meals or I'm just hungry... I've definitely lost weight though... Probably all the weight I put on since Febuary.

I've got work in a bit... I'm all ready to go. I want to be amazing at what I do... I want people to gasp! I will work until I bleed! (Wait... Didn't someone say that in the apprentice?! Ha ha!)

Since talking to the Japanese staff and struggling to communicate, I've found a new passion for learning Japanese. This morning I've been trying to teach myself how to correctly use the verb "to help"... As this is what I'll be offering to do a lot...
Tetsudau
I think if I want to offer to help I should say "tetsudanai ka"... (Can I not help?) Although I'm not entirely sure... Hannah taught me that it's more polite when suggesting something to make it a negative question. I suppose it's kind of like saying "don't suppose you want help do you?" Or something like that...
Verbs are hard! But I refuse to give up!


Oh, and for Laura, who doesn't actually know what I'm doing here (and for anyone else for that matter). I am working at a hotel called British Hills. It's a very unique hotel where they try to romantically recreate a period of time in England (ask Katherine what period... I don't know). It's unique because it's not just a hotel. It's also a teaching facility!
We have three basic types of guests:
- Private guests, who come to be looked after by a very nice hotel and maybe learn a little about England and improve their English... Maybe even do some crafts at the craft house or just enjoy the scenery. All facilities are open to them.
- Day guests, who just come to visit and look around and improve their English.
- School children, who come in large groups and sleep in dorms. They have about 3/4 English lessons a day... From what I can tell, they learn different things in different lessons. (There are four classrooms). They come for purely educational perposes.

At the moment my job is in the refectory. From what I can tell I'll be setting up the dining room and helping kitchen staff. Apparently I'm going to be exhausted by the end of today... But I doubt it's any more exhausting than chasing after a baby all day.

So there it is, my job in a nutshell.

I'll probably post another blog later on... Which will be about... 1/2pm UK time... I've only just started working out the time differences... Oh, and I think I'm over the jet lag. I slept really well last night despite all the noise going on in the corridor and I woke up with my alarm... Even if it did mean missing breakfast, I'm glad I got a good nights sleep, I feel so much more awake!