Wednesday 29 October 2008

Ten minutes!

Ok, so I woke up at 5am this morning and we left the house at 6:20am to get to Heathrow for my 1pm flight. The plan was to get there 4 hours before my plane actually took off so I'd have plenty of time to check in and make sure everything was sorted with time to spare.
Note - I needed to check in at 12 at the latest!

Then, at about 9:00am, we were making really good time... When we hit the A40! Have you heard about what happened? (I didn't know about this until a few hours ago)
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/oxfordshire/7696833.stm
Basically, two lorries had a big crash at about 4am, sadly, one man died at the scene... But it also spread lard all over the motorway, so the M40 was absoultely still with all the traffic... It was about 11am that we were suddenly turned around by a guy standing in front of a sign saying "incident"... We went the wrong way up one of those junction things to join the motorway... (We were told to, we didn't just decide to go up... o.0)
At the top of this we were directed by the police into some village near London... Bix Village I think it was called... We then used the TomTom to work out a route that avoided the M40... It said that we should get there at about 11:30... Cutting it fine, but we should make it...

So, in high spirits, we started travelling along, commenting on how pretty the scenery was when we passed Bix manor and suddenly came across... MORE TRAFFIC!!! Up until now I'd been quite cheerful and optomistic, thinking we'd left plenty of time for any traffic and everything would be fine. When we hit this traffic... I suddenly started to feel nervous... I only had one hour left before cut off time.

When it got to about 11:20, I realised that we were still half an hour away and STILL stuck in traffic... I asked Katherine to phone Rhiannon to try and sort out some sort of arrangement where they'd let me board, even if I was a bit late... Apparently there was very little chance of them letting me board, but there was still hope. At about 11:40 we FINALLY got past this pile of traffic, my dad sped along, trying desperately to get there before 12... It actually looked like we were going to make it... It was about 10 minutes to and we could see signs to Heathrow! THEN! THEN, we hit traffic again! >< We kept going on the off chance that we would make it in time... Oh god, I felt so stressed that I actually felt physically sick... ><>£100) because I missed the flight through no fault of my own... And, on top of that!! He got me a discount room at a hotel overnight... The hotel is beautiful! It's got to have a few stars under it's belt... Though I haven't checked...

So, despite how awfully this day had gone, it's actually ended quite well... I'm here, sitting my huge, wonderfully comfortable room... Leaning back in a big, comfy chair, watching the news (I can't believe this Ross/Brand thing is TOP NEWS! o,O), using my free internet connection... (Even though I keep losing it... ><) Dad's paid for my room and new flight... 'Cause he's awesome.. He's also given me a limit of 50 pounds for services... Although, I have no intention of using it all... I'm looking at the room service foods avaliable, I may then have a bath, then I'll watch the resteraunt and maybe have some sort of alcohol to numb the pain from all the stress... So yes! I'll be getting my plane to Japan TOMORROW! I'll be in Japan... on FRIDAY!! >< At least I don't have to get up stupidly early tomorrow.

Ok, blog over... HOPEFULLY, my next blog will be posted from Japan...